Hammersmith and Fulham Law Centre‚Äôs Housing unit is made up of solicitors who provide specialist advice and representation in aspects of housing law. You do not need to live in the borough to benefit from our specialist advice services.  We are contracted with the Legal Aid Agency to provide advice and representation to people who are eligible for Legal Aid with the following housing problems:

  • possession actions
  • evictions
  • rent arrears

We also offer advice and representation on:

  • homelessness
  • certain disrepair matters

For example we can advise in respect of these issues:

  • Does my local council have a duty to find me somewhere to live?
  • My local council has offered me a flat but I don't like it. Can I refuse to take it?
  • Where can I go if I have to leave my home and need somewhere to stay urgently, ie to escape a violent partner?
  • What can I do if my landlord is harrassing me?
  • My landlord is going to evict me next week. Can I do anything to stop this?
  • I have received a claim for possession from the County Court. What should I do?
  • My landlord won't do any repairs in my home. Can I force him to?
  • My mum has thrown me out. Does the council have to help me? 

If you are affected by any the above issues the Law Centre might be able to help you. Please phone us on 020 3080 0330 or email housingunit@hflaw.org.uk. . Please be aware that due to the high volume of enquiries received, we cannot assist everyone. If you do not receive a response within 3 days it means that unfortunately we cannot help on this occasion.

Duty Advice at Brentford County Court and West London County Court

We also co-ordinate the duty advice session service at Brentford County Court and the West London County Court for possession hearings on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  If you have not been able to get advice prior to a possession hearing taking place at these courts, we will normally be at the court to provide advice and representation at the hearing. If you are given a date for a hearing in connection with an emergency application to the court, for example to suspend a warrant, we may not be at court on that day so you will need to contact us directly using the contact details above. However, we strongly recommend that you seek advice at the earliest opportunity in order that any issues can be resolved before the hearing takes place.